Today, Friday 12th April, I sent a Freedom of Information request to Midlothian Council. I have decided that this ‘absolute nonsense’ as I called it has gone on long enough, the prevarication, the excuses, the refusals.
I supplied the Community Council with details of all the enquiry over a year ago, still no action, not good enough I am afraid, the relatives of the men concerned are rightly not impressed, they are not alone.
I believe in openness and honesty so here are the questions I asked the council today, they have 20 working days so I probably won’t have an update before this time next month. Should this fail I will take the matter further until a bit of justice is achieved for the Lads of Newtongrange.
Newtongrange War Memorial
I would be grateful if you can clarify the following points for me regarding this memorial.
1. Does the Council actually own the memorial or is it the Royal British Legion?
2. Who is responsible for repairs to the memorial?
3. What criteria do the Council use for deciding who’s names appear on the memorial?
4. Who is responsible for the nomination / decision process?
5. In the event of a dispute regarding a decision made regarding a nominee, what right of appeal is there?
6. What procedures are in place for potential victims of current / future conflicts.
7. Does the council accept Commonwealth War Graves Commission data as evidence of eligibility?